Pin It

Sunday 31 March 2013

Making Math Books iPad Style!

One of the projects that we worked on this year during our iPad project was creating math books using a combination of several different apps.  The children were fearless during this project and happily worked on it for a long, long time!  We used a combination of Doodle Buddy, some simple photography using the iPad, and Strip Designer to create their books.  When they were finished we could share them in a variety of ways.    I chose to send them as PDF files to the parents, and we also saved them to iBooks and sent them on to the parents. 

I found the beginning of the idea on a neat website called Journey with an iPad by Kate Lechleiter.  She had a post about using Doodle Buddy and ten frames to represent numbers.  She took a picture of the ten frame and used it as a background on Doodle Buddy.  Then the children used the stamps to represent numbers.


I thought that I would like to see the children take this idea and create addition stories with it.  I took a picture of a ten frame on each iPad so that it was in the camera roll.  The children then used that picture as their background and used the stamp feature in Doodle Buddy to create their own addition stories.  Then they recorded the addition stories underneath them.

Then we took our stories and imported them into Strip Designer to create our math books.  They turned out great!  The children had such a good time creating them that they wanted to make even bigger stories.  So I took pictures of two ten frames together so that the students who wanted a bigger challenge could create even bigger stories.  
The children made up to four or five pages of addition stories in Strip Designer.  I discovered that I could save the work as a PDF file and save it in iBooks.  Then I was able to email it to myself and then forward on a copy of the book to their homes!  I also printed off a hard copy of the book.  It is in black and white. 

I like the digital version better!

No comments:

Post a Comment